Ma’ale – Excelling Arab Students in Science and Engineering
If you are excelling students from the Arab sector with the intent of majoring in science in high school and do not shy away from hard work – we have a program you should not miss
“Bending” a soccer ball, melting an ice cube, and popping popcorn in the microwave. Everyday phenomena? Not to us! Participants of the “Excellence in the Arab Community” program, launched in 2014, create computer simulations of these and other actions, and in some cases, succeed to foresee their results – where the ball we kicked actions go, which part of the ice will melt first, and at what exact second will the corn kernel pop.
Ma’ale is a three-year program focusing on computational science. Over the course of the program, students acquire profound knowledge in programing (Python, EJS, Matlab) and apply it to solve scientific problems. In addition, they meet Arab startup companies, engineers, and researchers who are involved in cutting-edge research and technological or biological development throughout the country. At the end of each year, participants conduct a research project, combining programming and science on a topic of their choice.
Arab excelling 9th-grade students who have chosen or intend to choose a 5-point level mathematics and physics program in high school
The program’s duration is three years, from the beginning of the 10th until the end of 12th grade. Opening at the beginning of the academic year, it is held for four hours every Wednesday afternoon. Additional concentrated study days will be held on vacation days throughout the year
The University of Haifa campus, including trips to the Davidson Institute at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, as well as to other universities and high-tech companies
50 NIS for the screening process; 1,900 NIS per student per year for participation in the program (payment can be made in up to six installments). Fee includes all workshops at the Weizmann Institute and transportation costs. Scholarships are available – see request form on the Hebrew site.
More about the program
The “Ma’ale – Excellence in the Arab Community” program aspires to enable excelling students from the Arab community to become a part of Israeli academia and the high-tech industry in the future. Towards this purpose, the program addresses five main aspects:
- Learning Hebrew: Lessons are conducted in Hebrew, providing participants with an opportunity to practice language use, thus making it easier for them to compete with native Hebrew speakers in the Israeli job market in the future.
- Role models: Accomplished experts and professionals in academia and industry are introduced to the students over the course of the program, exemplifying success in industries and professions participants can acquire in the future.
- Scientific enrichment: The program is taught by lecturers from the Weizmann Institute and the Davidson Institute. Participants visit laboratories and are exposed to cutting-edge research that relates to them.
- Soft skills: The program aims, in part, to train participants in acquiring skills and capabilities such speaking to an audience, self-confidence, and even resume writing.
- Networking: The combination of activities enables program participants to create a social and professional circle that will assist them in the future with acceptance to higher-education institutions and job search.
For further information, visit the Hebrew site.